Additional sources for statistical literacy
- AAAS SciLine:
- This site includes a one-hour video (+ transcript) that goes into detail on differences in how polls can be conducted, and how this can affect results.
- A one-page reference of questions to ask yourself when evaluating a poll, organized around the 5W+H.
- Pew Research Center:
- This link is focused specifically on election polls, and why their results may not reflect voters’ actual behavior.
- The Journalist’s Resource:
- National Press Foundation:
- Detailed presentation (1 hour) with 5 quick takeaways.
- Roper Center:
- Specific questions to ask when looking at a poll, plus explanations for what the answers mean for your story.
Make clear comparisons